One of the most common reasons Blogspot users give for not switching to WordPress, is the hassle of transferring a large number of posts from an already established blog. In the past they did have a point, but not anymore. For some time WordPress (both WordPress.org and WordPress.com) has come with a built in importer which works with all well known blogging platforms, as well as plain RSS. It’s very easy to use – just a few clicks – and will call in both posts and comments. If you’re thinking of making the switch, but are unsure about the importing process, read on …
You need a ‘new’ or ‘beta’ Blogger account. If you’re using old Blogger or are self-hosting your Blogspot blog you can still import it, but you’ll have to download the file to your computer then use the import RSS option in WordPress.
1) Log in to your Blogger account – you don’t need to do anything there, it will simply save time later.
2) Log in to your WordPress dashboard. In the sidebar on the left look for the section marked ‘Tools’, and click on ‘Import’.
3) You’ll now find yourself on a new page with a list of blogging platforms which can be imported into WordPress, select Blogger – it’s the one at the top of the list so easy to find.
4) At this point you have to get Blogger and WordPress talking to each other, so click the ‘Authorise’ button, then ‘Grant Access’ on the following page. If you logged in to Blogger earlier you’ll be taken to a page listing all your blogs – assuming you have more than one, doesn’t everybody?!
5) Scroll down to the one you want, and click the ‘Import’ button on the right. WordPress will automatically import all your posts and comments. If there are a lot this can take several minutes so be patient. And don’t worry, nothing will be deleted at Blogger’s end, your Blogspot blog will still be there if you ever decide you want to go back to it, but why would you? WordPress is wonderful!
6) Finally, you are given the option of assigning authors, if you are a solo blogger just click ‘Save Changes’. If you do have multiple authors, you are given the option of adding them then coming back to this page to match them up with their posts.
Troubleshooting: Occasionally, the import function can get stuck. Don’t panic! Simply restart the import, you won’t lose anything and it won’t import duplicate copies.
So, now you know how easy it is, what are you waiting for? If you have any questions feel free to leave a comment!