With E3 2010 now well behind us, prices for the new things coming to gamers are beginning to be announced. Well now we can see just exactly what we get for our money with Sony’s new premium addition to the Playstation Network (PSN).
Playstation Plus will go live on June 29 and will give members exclusive items, free games, discounts (ranging between 20% and 50%) and game trials from PSN. It will set you back £39.99 for a 12 month subscription and £11.99 for 90 days and with Sony saying that the amount of stuff you get from the premium subscription is around the £200 price mark, you do get quite a lot for your money.
Plus as an added bonus, if you subscribe to a 12 month subscription between June 29 and August 3, you’ll get a free downloadable copy of Little Big Planet (not the GOTY edition) with no strings attached, which is a nice carrot on the PSN stick. For those who don’t want to upgrade, don’t worry. Everything else will be staying exactly the same and online gaming will remain free and you don’t have to pay a penny more.
So what else do you get for your money? You’ll get four free games each month which will include one PSN game, two Minis and a PSone classic title. Two dynamic themes, two premium avatars and some game add-ons all thrown in each month for free.
Each month will be different so you don’t have to worry about getting the same thing over and over and over. There’s also the inclusion of automated downloads which will turn the machine on itself and download any firmware updates for you so you don’t have to sit around after getting home and watch the download bar fill up, then once it’s downloaded, turn itself off again.
However, you will have to install it yourself because of the user agreements. But I don’t mind starting the download, making myself a brew, watch a bit of TV for 5 minutes and then it’s done.
So what do you get in your first month? Between June 29th and August 3rd the following will be available:
Playstation Plus – Month 1
- Little Big Planet (Standard Edition)
- Wipeout HD
- Field Runners, Age of Zombies (Minis)
- Destruction Derby (PS one Classic)
- Shatter, Savage Moon (Game Trials)
- Discounts – LBP GOW pack (50%), LBP Locoroco costume pack (50%), Gravity Crash (20%) and Fat Princess DLC (20%)
- Killzone 2: Steel and Titanium DLC (Premium Game Element)
- ModNation Racers, Heavy Rain (Push Demos)
- LBP Theme, Sony’s “Game is Just the Start” Dynamic Theme
- 2 Fat Princess Premium Avatars
That’s quite a lot of freebies for what works out at £3.33 a month for a 12 month subscription. I’d say that’s a bargain. There’s also a list of the second months items which is August 4th to September 1st:
Playstation Plus – Month 2
- Zen Pinball
- Blast-Off, Alien Zombie Death (Minis)
- Medievil (PS one Classic)
- Inferno Pool, Mushroom Wars (Full Game Trials)
- Discounts – Zen Pinball Earth Defence Table (20%), Warhawk Triple Combo Pack (50%), Super Stardust HD (20%), Wipeout HD Fury (20%)
- Motorstorm Pacific Rift: Adrenaline Pack (Premium Game Element)
- Flower, Pixel Junk Shooter (Push Demo)
- Heavy Rain Crime Scene Them, Playstation Plus Dynamic Theme
- 2 Heavy Rain Avatars (Bird and Butterfly)
It really does seem like it’s worth the £40 a year for Playstation Plus with all of the free content that you get each month. However saying that, £40 a year on top of an XBLA subscription at £35 a year does work out at a whopping £6.24 a month.
In my opinion they’re both well worth the money and it wouldn’t surprise me if Microsoft throw in a couple of free indie games each month with Xbox Live Gold subscriptions and put their price up to £39.99 a month as well to match Sony’s premium offering.
There is one down side to it though, with that being if you don’t continue with your subscription, the things you have downloaded for free will be locked until you sign back up again.
So what do you think to Sony’s new Premium subscription option? Worth the money? Or just a load of free crap to be given away? I like the idea and think I’ll be joining up. Just a shame I bought LBP last month!
Via – Edge Online