The new Nintendo DSi and Sony’s PSP 3000 are set to start a new handheld war. This will be the 3rd versions of their handhelds!!!
Both are retailed at £149.99 with the Sony PSP 3000 release date being 6th March 2009 and the Nintendo DSi release date a month later on 3rd April 2009.
But I can’t see Sony outselling Nintendo on the handheld front. The PSP is more on the media side as there are only a handful of PSP exclusive games on the market and lets face it, they’re not the best games.
Whereas, Nintendo bring out some of the best games across all formats on the DS. I have both and feel Sony really need to push the PSP 3000 and bring out some great exclusive games.
The DSi has a few new features, which have been a little controversial to some people. These changes being:
- Slimmer than the DS by 12%
- Bigger screens
- Two cameras, but only 0.3 megapixels. Hardly groundbreaking, but I suppose good enough for the DSi
- Web browser
- Download games using DSWare using Wii Points
- SD memory card slot which has controversially replaced the GBA slot. (Guitar Hero players miss out big time)
- Better audio with improved speakers.
- ………..and errr………a longer stylus by 4.5mm……?????
The PSP 3000 on the other hand has very few changes, with only a built in speaker and better screen. The speaker is for people who use Go! Messenger or Skype, but I thought the PSP was meant to be a games handheld. Obviously not, it’s just becoming a media centre.
You can get the Nintendo DSi in either Black or White and the Sony PSP 3000 in silver, white or red.
I don’t think I’ll be rushing out anytime soon to bag either of them as I’m quite content with the versions I have at the minute.
What are your views on this? Just another ploy to make money? Or do these represent necessary improvements?